Monday, July 20, 2009

Logging the Journey- Rural Corruption.


July is a great time to hang out in the sun at a train station....but why are there never working payphones anywhere anymore?? Good thing there are nice groups of young gentlemen fishing...
Morgantown, PA: a beautiful rolling scape of green cornfields, small mountains, lovely old houses, flower gardens, ponds and simple structures.
Mohnton, PA: Rural-tastic. But really pretty. Met Rachel & Lindsay; walked to the park/pool/bar/playground & listened to a teen cover band while eating a hot dog and $1 lager.
With Emma and SLS to Sonic: you have to press a button?! and speak into a speaker?! I got grilled cheese w/ bacon. And small tots.
Wal*Mart: They all look painfully the same. I bought freeze pops, lighters & gum.
Then I danced through the parking lot to the Avett Brothers, holding my freeze pops out like a small dance partner, watching the sunset over the cornfields. How old am I again?
Then I met Becca's mom. How old does she think I am?
Then it was to the beer distributer and the state store. Now I remember how old I am. Inklings have already begun to develop that I have bought too much.
But the fireflies are so distracting.
And lovely. Emma makes good conversation too. Kids these days...and their conversations.
To the Red Carpet Inn...to meet Hersh, buy postcards, and *oops* make it clearly obvious that I am the oldest person residing in room #101 this fine July evening. To the room!
Obligatory leap onto made-up king sized bed.
Obligatory dance around the room to Michael Franti.
Obligatory first shot of Penn 1681.
Obligatory reading of verses from the nightstand Bible.
Toenail conversations in the closet, investigation of every crack hole and drug spot in the room, fridge stocking, taste testing, the realization we have no cups, the arrival of a Mooney mistress...
And what was to become the demise of the first round of fun: the boys.
[F*CKING DOUG.]
Passing out the drinks, another couple of ladies arrive, and then another. Drinking, passing, drinking, smoking, passing, chatting, laughing, a step outside and-
Don't close that when you come out, we don----
BAM.
[F*CKING DOUG.]
We really don't have the key. Really.
[F*CKING DOUG.]
Press the call button for the office multiple times. Walk back shaking my head...
[F*CKING DOUG.]
"Is everything alright?"
"Nope."
[F*CKING DOUG.]
"THE COPS ARE COMING! EFFING RUN!!!"
No, ladies...we're just locked out.
Guess who bolts? Among others,
[F*CKING DOUG.]
SLS joins me at the office to convene with some sane-telligence. Which is eclipsed by the smooth move of a full body slam of the locked door. Enough (or more than the call button) to rouse Hersh from his slumber.
Another head shake.
We're back in.
The night gets hazy. Girls and girls and girls. I sober up into an alternate half awake reality where I play inquisitioner in game show style truth or "double truth." I participate half-heartedly in platonic spin the bottle where I am passed over for a bag of BBQ chips by the one person I'd be interested in kissing...but am surprised at those who don't chose the chips over my cheek. Which is simultaneously odd and unnerving.
I went to the fair. We rode the ferris wheel twice, got some cotton candy, some balloons and headed back.
We rode in a backseat with four people. Seven total in the car. To Sheetz. I do not know the Sheetz I speak of.
I spooned with a girl. Two or three in total. They were tattooed and smelled like cigarettes and ironically were not old enough to buy either of those things.
I kept myself in check. I broke the law on only two fronts. No, three. Four?
Becca guarded my face when I slept from Sharpies gone awry.
I woke to Indian music at 8AM.
I went for a morning drive with a nice young gentlelady. I bought her some coffee for her generosity and the fact she kept me sane.
Mooney mistress brought me an hour out of her way to the train...
After a casually confusing kiss goodbye. I gave up figuring it out. And that's seemingly OK.
Drank my latte and listened to Tegan and Sara while waiting for the train, processing the day, the week, the month, the year.
Came home and launched into another kind of debauchery- drinking up sunshine and water and filling my stomach with all (by all I mean 2 or 3 or 4) the things I denied myself last night. Threw out the cigarettes with the dirty drawings on the pack.
[F*CKING DOUG.]
And took a drive. And a nap. And had another glass of water.
Refreshed. Renewed. Ready to make this week another great one.

The question is...focusing primary mental energy on one person seems to get me into trouble. Is it time to sow some oats? I think it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment