Thursday, March 29, 2012

Growing Up with Bob

Well today is the first time I might be pulled away from my 750 words while I'm writing them. I'm starting at 6:22 and Dylan's supposed to be here to pick me up at 6:30. We're heading to a town called Audobon (I belonged to the Audobon Society when I was younger, and received a book about birds for my membership fee- is it the same Audobon?!), to a restaurant on Egypt Road (MUMMIES?) called Chadwick's.

Originally, the plan was to meet Jess at a restaurant in Ardmore called Firinji. I picked it because it was close to me so Dylan wouldn't have to drive much further after coming out here. But Marie emailed me this morning, asking if we'd join her in supporting her friend Joel and his band tonight. I politely declined, but come 4:00, Jess IMed me asking if I wanted to change our plans and go. I was a little torn even saying I would check, since I had told Marie we had dinner plans, but not with Jess. I guess I figured in the end that she'd be happier to see us (she really likes Dylan) than upset that I hadn't told her about Jess and our dinner plans.

So I called Dylan and asked him what he thought, explaining the situation and where the restaurant is. He asked if I'd like to go with just Jess. I haven't seen Dylan for four days, so I said, "NO WAY JOSE." And that I'd rather tell Jess we can go to Firinji with her or reschedule completely. I love seeing Jess and I adore Marie, but I guess in this case, I was choosing Dylan before the girls. In this case, it worked out, because Dylan said he'd go, but that it was just a lot of driving.

But overall, I have Bob's words hanging over my head that I need to maintain my own life and not get sucked into coupledom. Am I sucked into coupledom? I'm happy in coupledom. Should I be capitalizing that? Is it a proper noun? Coupledom, USA. Nah. Too official. Anyhow, I'm trying to do things with friends. Last Friday with Dani was perfection. Amazing food, flowing conversation that seemed to carry us late into the night without realizing it. And then, late in the evening Dylan, and eventually Bryan, met up with us, and it was a ton of fun. I love being able to incorporate Dylan into my friendships, since he gets along so well with everyone I love.

I think I do need to schedule some Bob time in the near future. Oh! We have our wedding weekend coming up. I like that we're going to have Thursday all to ourselves to hang, maybe grabbing a drink with the girls Thursday evening. But it'll be nice to have some quality Bob and Amanda time. I just have to make sure not to max my credit card out that weekend. It'll be in the name of friendship and love!!!! I think that's forgivable, don't you? I think investing time into Bob is a lot more worthwhile than investing money into him, since I feel like I can never match the generosity of his gifts.

It's important for me to remind him how much I adore him, and love that he's always tried to be there for me...except of course, when I don't do a great job of telling him I'm coming home, and he gets pissed at me for a month and a half. Boy, I'm glad that got worked out. I love that man, and I never want to see him leave my life. I am so psyched for Chicago, because, yes, I am there for Jenny and seeing my college friends all in one place will be awesome, but it means a lot to me that Bob is coming to see me through this. Just like in the old days.

Except this time, I won't get drunk and go to work, or rip his wig off at the Burger King. We're grown ups now. At least, most of the time we are. We try to be. Our friendship has evolved so much from where we started, yet, somehow we're still the same teenagers who hung out at Steve's Place. We just have a lot more money and responsibility now. And live fancier lives. And have careers and relationships to think about. And aging parents. And debt. Ahhh, growing up and growing old. It's a joy. But I'm happy I get to do it with Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment