Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Birthday Ramblins Part Trois

Note: This was preceded in my 750words.com entry with a yelp review for Mad Mex...just to provide a bit of context for the start of my first sentence. Here we go.

Now that THAT'S out of the way I can gush about my awesome boyfriend who surprised me not once, not twice, not even three, but FOUR TIMES on my birthday this year. With big surprises too! The first was when we went to the symphony on Sunday, which I knew about, but the surprise was instead of buying the $24 second balcony tickets I had sent him the link to...he bought third row seats! Not only had I never been to a professional classical music performance since I'd moved to Philly (I think I'd been to the opera when I lived in London), but I'd never been this close to pretty much anything before except maybe community theater! I was stunned and in awe. The cellist that played was extremely talented, and the sound of the group as a whole was phenomenal.

The second surprise came on my actual birthday, yesterday. Dylan had come over Monday night. I cooked us a big healthy dinner, and we went out for a nice evening walk. We came back with ice cream and watched TV for a while, ending up on youtube at 1AM, like the youthful misfits we really are inside. We finally fell asleep, and I got to sleep in because I had yesterday off from work. I got up a little after 9 to begin checking email, and we laid in bed for a while talking about what to eat for breakfast. I decided I really had a craving for Chinese food, so we found a good place and made a plan to go at noon. I worked for a bit while Dylan watched TV and then we headed to lunch. It was a great little place, which reminds me, I have to review it!

HUNAN
Casellula

I'll remember now!

Anyhow, after lunch, we came back to my place to drop off our leftovers before heading to Longwood Gardens, the plan we had made a month prior when I'd gotten the day off from work. But Dylan had other plans. In the birthday card he gave me, it said "Get on your comfy shoes. We're going to NY!" He basically whisked me away in the middle of a beautiful sunny Tuesday on the greyhound bus he'd gotten tickets for to Manhattan! It was a huge surprise! He wouldn't tell me where we were going, or what we were doing though. A slight diversion of the bus getting caught in traffic was a brief hiccup to the day, but we ended up skidding into the afore-mentioned Casellula at about 6:30 and who was there, but Anya and Jeff! They were Dylan's first surprise. The second surprise came during our whirlwind dinner of assorted cheeses, accompaniments, meats, breads, and mac n' cheese, and the giant glass of wine I somehow downed in 3 minutes after sipping slowly on it for 15. The second birthday card he gave me had a monkey dressed as a fairy on it, and said since I had been so good this year, the good witch Galinda had asked him to give me what was inside: two tickets to Wicked! The show I had told him was my favorite, that he said he didn't like, that I got mad at him for disliking, that he said he'd never see with me! We'd had this conversation MONTHS ago, and not only had he remembered that I loved it, but he arranged to surprise me on my birthday, LAST NIGHT, with tickets to see it! We had to leave Anya and Jeff quickly, and barely got to eat our dinner, but we made it to the show with a few minutes to spare, and it was INCREDIBLE. I cried during Defying Gravity. We gave them a standing ovation at the end. Such an amazing time.

And I got to live the whole birthday, the whole birthday season this year, with an amazing man by my side who helped make it all happen, and orchestrated some of the best parts of it all. To say I feel lucky is an understatement. I am blessed to have him. And now it's time more than ever to brainstorm how I can make his birthday just as great. So far, I have the DVDs for the first two seasons of Modern Family, the peanut and pretzel M&Ms combination, and a plan to take him to Chima or Fogo de Chau on his birthday, which we both have off! Let's see what other excitement I can come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment