Monday, April 9, 2012

What Do I Like?

That is the question I've chosen to tackle today, from my list of questions I copied in on April 5th. I've noticed, before I dive in, that I have a hard time dedicating myself to writing on the weekends. When I'm at work, or at home on weeknights, I can easily dedicate myself to write for 10 or 15 minutes, but the weekend is a little tougher. I also know I have a tough time making time to exercise on the weekends, even if that just means doing some squats, sit ups and push ups. If I'm able to dedicate 30-45 minutes to myself on Saturday and Sunday, I can get in both a good amount of writing and a little exercise. I just need to figure out if that's going to be when Dylan is sleeping, showering, or when we're having TV time. When we're watching TV, we're usually watching something that I want to keep up with or I'm into, so I've got to take time away when he puts on something I'm not too involved in. Just something to think about if I want to one day finish a whole month of 750 words! What a goal!

Now, back to the question. I like a whole heck of a lot of things. And people. And places. I like to do a lot of things. I like to be busy. I like to fill my time with activity if I can. The question that comes up next is, "What do I love?" so I'll try hard here to stick to things that I like and not things I truly love. Distinguishing between like and love can be difficult. And sometimes, those things overlap. Dylan and I have told one another before, "I love you, but I also really like you." It seems to me that both of those things are important in a relationship.

I really like clouds. Clouds have always been something that has inspired me, and I want someday, to be able to paint a beautiful skyscape, maybe at sunset, maybe at mid-day, but capturing the billowy, pillowy, un-real, wispy aspects of clouds that sometimes photography can't even capture. Clouds to me are one of the most beautiful things we get to see in nature, and they happen almost every day, unlike things like flowers, snow or green trees and grass.

I like cooking. I like going shopping for the fresh ingredients. I like finding new things to cook with at the store- a new sauce or a particularly interesting vegetable. I like experimenting with creating things I've never made before. It's so amazing to me how just a few simple ingredients can produce amazing tastes that are all their own and unique. I like putting together meals from a few different things. I like coming up with sweet and tasty things to eat for dessert. I like making dishes healthy. I like getting all the food groups into one meal, and feeling like someday, I could do that everyday for my family. I cooked this past weekend, just an appetizer, for Dylan's family's Easter dinner. I made homemade bruschetta, which is relatively easy, but so very tasty, and got a ton of compliments on it. I wouldn't say I cook only for compliments, but cooking for others and having them appreciate what I've put time into, is something that I really like. I've liked cooking a lot more since I've been with Dylan, and I think it's because I have someone to eat the things I make!

I like art. I know that's a super broad statement, and art can be so many things, but it's really a very true statement for me. I like most aspects of creating art - painting, drawing, sketching, sculpture, pottery, photography, collage, mosaic, composition. I wish I had more time to put toward art in my life, because I think it really brings out a great side of me: a very thoughtful, graceful side that I don't always inhabit in other parts of my life. I also like to look at other people's art and think about it. I like going to museums. I like walking the halls, looking at paintings and sculptures and thinking about what the artist was feeling when he or she made the piece of art. I like that art makes me feel something and makes me think.

Well, it looks like it only took three things I really like to hit my word count for today. Tomorrow, I will try to write about what I love. And that might send me sky high into thousands of words if I don't watch out. I love a lot of things on this planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment